There are two types of overlaminate ribbon material – varnish overlay and laminate.
1. Varnish Overlay Ribbon – Minimal Tamper Resistance
A varnish overlay ribbon is a continuous ribbon that applies a thin layer to the card (about 4 microns), edge-to-edge.
Varnish overlays are recommended for applications requiring a low durability (up to 2 year lifespan) and a minimal tamper resistance.
2. Laminate Ribbon – High Tamper Resistance
A laminate ribbon is made up of patches and is available in thicknesses of 0.6mil (15 microns) and 1.0mil (25 microns). It is important to note that the patches do not cover the entire card surface.
Laminate ribbon patches are recommended for applications requiring a medium to high durability (from 3 to 7 year lifespan) and high tamper resistance.
Comparing Varnish Overlays to Laminate Overlays
|Ribbon||Ribbon Type||Durability||Tamper Resistance|
|Laminate||Patches||Med – High||High|
Custom Holograms for ID Security Series
- Add Custom ID Card Security with Hologram Ribbons & Overlays
- Custom Holograms for ID Security – Choosing the Right Ribbon Material
- Custom Holograms for ID Security – Choosing the Proper Security Level
- Custom Holograms for ID Security – Choosing the Required Security Features
- How to Order Custom Holograms for Enhanced ID Card Security
If you need more information on – or desire assitance with – creating custom hologram security for your organizations’s ID cards and badges, contact one of our ID Experts at 877-868-0012 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll make it easy for you!
ID Card Group offers a price match guarantee, provides free shipping on orders over $100, and accepts purchase orders.
Source: Evolis Card Printer Custom Hologram Guide, August 2012